Español English


We follow the so called Royal Road from Prague Castle via Nerudova Street, Charles Bridge, the Old Town Square to the Powder Tower, where the Royal Road continues through the Hybernská (Iberian) Street towards the city of Kutná Hora, once the second most important town of Bohemia.
Before entering the Prague Castle there is the Strahov Monastery on our way which is worth a visit since it is the seat of the Premonstratesian Order. There in the Church of Our Lady where St. Norbert, the founder of the Order, has been burried. The monastery is famous for its baroque library with its Theological and Philosophical Halls.

Prague Castle - considered one of the major fortresses of the world, seen from the Vltava River. The Castle - founded by the Přemyslides (Přemyslide dynasty) in the ninth century - is a monumental conglomerate of buildings of various architectonic and artistic styles.

In the Prague Castle area the most prominent building is undoubtedly the St.Vitus` Cathedral founded by Emperor Charles IV in 1344 on the site of a Romanesque basilica. The Cathedral was built by French architect Matthieu d´ Arras and the masonic lodge of Peter Parler. The great tower was finished in 1406, the entire cathedral was completed after an interval of 450 years in 1929.

In the Cathedral there is the tomb of St. John of Nepomuk from 1736.

Among numerous chapels dominates the one consecrated to St. Wenceslas. The lower parts of the walls are inlaid with semiprecious stones, the upper parts are covered by mural paintings depicting scenes from the Legend of St. Wenceslas.

In the Castle area we find the famous Golden Lane, where royal musketeers built themselves little houses into the fortifications. Later on these houses served to alchemists.

Before leaving the Castle we`ll enjoy a view over the Lesser Town (Malá Strana), Charles bridge and the Vltava river to the other Old Town river bank.

Nerudova Street, called in honour of XIX century poet Jan Neruda who lived in the house At the Two Suns, descends to the Lesser Town Square with the St. Nicolas` Church, the most beautiful Bohemian baroque building.

In the vicinity of the Lesser Town Square in Karmelitská Street there is the Church of Our Lady Victorious, the oldest baroque church in Prague. It hosts a Spanish wax effigy from the 16th century: the Prague Child Jesus.

Before entering Charles Bridge, we can admire the so called Prague Venice, a branch of the Vltava River forming an island. The walls of its houses are founded in water.

Charles Bridge, one of the symbols of Prague, communicates the Lesser Town Quarter (Malá Strana) with the Old Town (Staré Město). It was built in the second half of the 14th century by Peter Parler, the court architect of Charles IV. In the course of centuries it proved its qualities in heavy floods including the last one in August 2002.

In the Old Town bank the bridge runs into the Old Town Tower Bridge, which forms the entrance into the Knights of the Cross Square (Křižovnické náměstí) with the statue of Charles IV.

Prior to entering the Old Town Square (Staroměstské náměstí) via Karlova Street, we make a short visit to the remnants of former Jewish ghetto, which occupies one part of the present Old Town. The history of the early Jewish settlements in Prague begins in the 10th century. In the 12th century it amounted to 7000 residents. Among its architectonic treasures belong the Old-New Synagogue, the former Jewish Town Hall, and the Old Jewish Cemetery with its 20 000 gravestones, unique in the world.

The Karlova Street enters into the Old Town Square with the John Huss Monument dedicated to the religious reformer who was burnt at the stake in 1415. The Old Town Hall with its 69 meters high tower, from which there is a fantastic view over the city, and the famous attraction - the Old Town Astronomical Clock can be found on the southers side of the square.

We continue along Celetná Street - famous for its baroque buildings, at the corner with Fruit Market though, there is the famous Black Madonna House from the beginning of the 20th century in cubistic style by Josef Gocar.

In the Fruit Market there is the original Prague opera house from 1783 - today called the Estates Theatre, where Mozart`s opera Don Giovanni had its first performance in 1787.

Celetná Street is concluded by the most ornamental work of Bohemian Late Gothic, the Powder Tower, which was once part of fortifications and a gateway to Prague from the road to Kutná Hora, the second richest city in Medieval Bohemia.

For detailed information about guide services click HERE

Alena Janischová - Guía de Praga
Telephone (00420) 222 254 078
Mobile phone (00420) 737 109 943
Internet Address